Monday, April 28, 2008

Fenders?!? Who needs fenders? Mud is therapeudic...

We took a little longer trip up through the Indian Bend Wash green belt in Scottsdale. We started from the same place, but went all the way up to Shea Blvd. We have intentions this coming weekend to go from Tempe Town Lake up to the same place (that first trip was about 18.5 miles, the second will be close to 26). And though it hasn't been raining here, they do water the greenery in the the "green" belt.

We had the opportunity to run through several puddles -- nice, dirty puddles -- those kind that have collected all the dust, smog, and other goodies out of the air, sidewalk, and surrounding undergrowth. And of course, I was riding behind my lovely wife on her bicycle.

There I was, getting hit in the center by the gork being kicked up by her wheel, and getting hit on the shoulders and arms by my own two front wheels (which obviously are in front of me). The bright, yellow shirt you see in photos below became bespecked with splotches ranging from light brown to coal black in a varity of sizes. My pants suffered the same fate.

I guess if you were to go cross country in a tadpole, fenders (and a face plate attached to the helmet) might not be a bad idea. I mean, mud is one thing, but there might also be rocks and other junk kicked up by passing bikes and cars (so far, I have been fortunate in this regard and have not been hit by such debris).

No comments: