Monday, June 15, 2009

Trike Heresy

I have bought a bike. Yup, one with two wheels. I wanted to see if I could handle the hills better on a bike (and keep up better with my wife on those hills).

We went to the bike shop and they had a used Fuji Newest 3 there on sale for about $200 to $300 less than new. They also had an instant $50 mark down on top of the sale price. And after I pointed out a rather nasty scratch in the paint, they knocked off another $50. So for an ok, used, first road bike it wasn't too bad. I did upgrade the seat though...


I indeed can power up inclines much better. But I am still getting use to two wheels instead of three.

Just this last Saturday, my wife and I went on a 24 mile ride (with me on the bike). It was a ride we have been on before, and yes, it was different. Some of the inclines were easier, but some, surprisingly, were not. I still need to practice standing up to pedal in the lower gears.

I did replace the pedals with ones that have clips. I tried those out this morning for the first time. I had no problem getting out of the clips. It was getting my "kick off" foot back into the clip that gave me grief. I am expecting it will get better with practice.

We'll give the bike a shot (and maybe even use it in the Tour de Tucson this year). Hopefully my back and seat will stop aching by then...

1 comment:

Becky and Tyler said...

Woo hoo dad!!! Those 24 miles are probably farther than I could go right now...but I did get back on my bike!!! Yeah to that! Well...it's on a trainer on the back porch so I can be close to the house where Lowe is...